Join us for the fourth Annual New Jersey Makers Day!
NJ Makers Day will be held on Saturday, March 10, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. We look forward to NJ’s freshest innovations, creative efforts, and inspiring growth in the fields of science, technology, engineering, arts, math and more!
The ultimate goal of NJ Makers Day is to enhance community engagement and facilitate connections among New Jersey residents by exploring new and interesting opportunities for community-wide education, entrepreneurship and hands-on learning experiences.
We are looking for people to present something they are passionate about, from robotics to knitting – anything goes.
Contact Steve@stephenfox.info if you are interested in participating.
Last year’s programs were:
Maker culture emphasizes learning-through-doing (active learning) in a social environment. Maker culture emphasizes informal, networked, peer-led, and shared learning motivated by fun and self-fulfillment. Maker culture encourages novel applications of technologies, and the exploration of intersections between traditionally separate domains and ways of working including metal-working, calligraphy, film making, and computer programming. Community interaction and knowledge sharing are often mediated through networked technologies, with websites and social media tools forming the basis of knowledge repositories and a central channel for information sharing and exchange of ideas, and focused through social meetings in shared spaces such as hackspaces. Maker culture has attracted the interest of educators concerned about students’ disengagement from STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) in formal educational settings. Maker culture is seen as having the potential to contribute to a more participatory approach and create new pathways into topics that will make them more alive and relevant to learners.
- Celebrate the culture of making in New Jersey
- Foster collaboration between makers and makerspaces across New Jersey
- Host a program/event on the same day at all participating New Jersey makerspaces
- Promote the role of NJ libraries in supporting makers and maker culture throughout the state
- Schedule at least one event in every county in New Jersey
- Contract with vendors based in New Jersey whenever possible
- Create projects with low or no barriers of access, including one or two live-streamed or recorded statewide projects
- Maintain a directory of makers and makerspaces in New Jersey